Yes, you read that title correctly. This morning I, Amanda, had an 8 mile run. Ok, fine, miles 5-7 were a bit combo run/walk. But that’s not the point. The point is in like 1h 40m I moved myself 8 FUCKING MILES.
And this run was very educational. I learned a great many things and I want to share them with you.
- 8 miles is far.
- An overcast sky on a Texas morning in August is a blessing.
- There are a lot of bakeries and furniture stores on Burnet I need to visit.
- Medical Parkway is almost exclusively doctors offices (fair) and hair salons.
- Don’t put “Take a Walk” by Passion Pit on your running playlist, sends the wrong message.
- Someone on 35th St has a rooster.
- Hills are stupid.
- Setting a goal and telling everyone about it is really vital to success
I said i learned things,I didn’t say they were all earth shattering. But I think the last one is pretty important. At least for me. I ran 8 miles today, because in October I’m running 10 in this awesome charity race, Run for the Water. I decided to fund-raise in addition to running and my friends and family have donated, so…..I kinda have to run this race.
Yeah the money will go to the charity regardless but now everyone knows I’m doing it and they’re gonna ask me about it and I am self-centered enough that I want to be able to say “oh yeah, it went great.” I don’t want to say “oh that, um yeah, so I chickened out because I didn’t want to be the last person to finish.”
And while I love to eat and drink, that really only ever inspired 3 miles tops. I cannot believe that I’m going to run 10. And honestly, at this point I’m not really sure its even possible. But this morning around mile 6, 8 seemed impossible, and i made it home so maybe there is hope. At the very least there’s a whole internet full of these to keep me going: